There's no fire without smoke. And smoke is deadly. The Fire Service know that the amount of Hydrogen Cyanide that is released in smoke causes death. 180 parts per million causes death in 10 minutes and at 270 parts per million death is immediate.
Independent fire test research, to analyse the smoke given off by mattresses in house fire conditions, was carried out by the University of Central Lancaster and a member of The Manchester Fire Brigade in April 2016. It compared our mattresses covered with Cottonsafe® fabric with others found in the UK.
The UK Fire Brigade strive to attend a fire within 10 minutes, so this university research tested the amount of deadly Hydrogen Cyanide and Carbon Monoxide gases released after 10 minutes burning. The test items were samples of:
• Chinese fire retardant back-coated mattresses
• UK fire retardant back-coated & fire retardant foam mattresses
• Cottonsafe® fabric covered mattresses - naturally fire retardant with no chemical additives
• Non-treated fire retardant European mattresses
The average Carbon Monoxide emissions:
• UK chemically fire retardant treated mattresses = 1400 parts per million
• Cottonsafe® mattresses = 100 parts per million.
Most importantly, the Hydrogen Cyanide emissions:
• UK chemically fire retardant treated mattresses = 345.3 parts per million (remember: 180 parts per million causes death in 10 minutes and at 270 parts per million death is immediate)
• Cottonsafe® mattresses = under 3 parts per million.
So Cottonsafe® fabric gave off less than 1% of UK chemically fire retardant treated mattresses.
Cottonsafe® fabric is pure, completely natural and safe “ and this research has proven that yes, it is INCREDIBLY SAFE compared to any chemically treated fire retardant fabric!
SAFER FOR THE PUBLIC AND SAFER FOR THE FIRE BRIGADE.
 *Source: Public Heath England Compendium of Chemical Hazards - https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/500821/Hydrogen_Cyanide_PHE_TO_120216.pdf